Thursday, June 2, 2011

BSBDES501A- Winter in Wagga Wagga

Assessment Overview:
Wagga Wagga City Council has approached you to design a promotional piece to encourage tourists to vist Wagga during the Winter months
This is my booklet design ...















Report:






During this assessment the overview was to design a promotional piece for the Wagga Wagga City Council to encourage tourists to visit Wagga during the Winter months.

Prior to deciding the form for the promotional piece for Winter in Wagga Wagga, there are many things that I need to research before commencing the design. This includes looking at other forms of promotional pieces that Wagga already has to offer. The first thing I can do is go to the Wagga Wagga Visitors Centre and look at the information on Wagga they have available. I can talk to a few people both in and out of class to get their opinions on what they like and don’t like about different designs such as colours, styles and mediums. I can also do the same thing by looking online and visiting the Wagga Wagga City Council, Wagga Art Gallery, library and also NSW Government website to see what trends, colours, typography and designs that are already being produced in and around the area.
I also need to research Wagga itself and see how much information is out there about what form would be best suited to my ‘clients’ needs, information like restaurants, wineries, markets, shopping, entertainment, museums etc. I will also conduct research on the internet and look at graphic design sites and resources to see what I like and what attracts my attention and also looks professional and clean, as this is the option I have in mind for my booklet design. I will look at material that are highly recommended online to see what it is that is working for that booklet and try to gain inspiration and ideas from that. I will also borrow or buy some Graphic Design books to look at examples. 

I decided to design my booklet A4 Landscape on celloglaze paper, as this size is not used often. When researching other material used in booklets in and around Wagga I found that mainly A5 or tri-fold brochures were being used, and found that a booklet was most appealing as more information can be added and is easy to follow and understand. The reason why I decided to use this medium for my project was because I wanted the booklet to have an impact on people when they seen it, not only by the size but I thought A4 landscape would be effective as I want the design to have a minimal approach and leaving lots of room for negative space. 

The development of my piece will require a photographer for quality images as this is something that will affect the look of my booklet if not done correctly, I will also need to source a printer and advise the printer of the quality of paper I am after. I will need to source information about Wagga and surrounding areas and make sure it is correct if sourcing it from the internet.

Factors that may impact the resources mentioned above could be the budget I have been given  by the client. The client may not expect the cost of things like the photographer, printing and cost of celloglaze paper. I will advise my client and show the difference that all of these things affect the look of the booklet. The stock will be much thicker making it more durable and also it will look a lot nicer than the cheaper options available. A professional photographer will capture the best of Wagga and showcase the amazing sights that are around, which will make a huge difference in attracting tourist to the town. A huge factor I will need to consider is copyright issues and checking all information is correct at the time of publication.

During my design process I was given a lot of feedback on my design, both good and bad. I was happy to have so much feedback as I believe it helps me become a designer and know others opinions.  
Overall I had positive feedback on my presentation and comments that were  made were that my design was clean, simple and was not as cluttered as you generally see with booklets/brochures and that it was good that I had a positive approach towards Wagga.
Constructive criticism made was that if I wasn’t 100% sure about a design I should not show it to my client. Too many logo options were shown to client in presentation and a maximum of two options is all that is needed. If images are similar get rid of one of them. Don’t include anything irrelevant such as when I mentioned ‘The Rock’ it is not apart of Wagga so I should not include anything in the logo that isn’t apart of Wagga. Use design terms. Pronounce words correctly or learn to pronounce them if you are not sure and I do not need to supply the font name when presenting to a client as they are not designers and do not need to know these details.

Exposing my design to quality checks and ongoing analysis allows my design to improve and become a stronger design piece. When someone else looks at a design, they see it in a different way and can pick up mistakes or things that are out of place or not quite right.

I believe that my promotional piece will increase tourism numbers in Wagga Wagga during the Winter months as it represents the best of Wagga during this season, as it caters for all while using a unique approach and high quality design and images. The booklet caters for all and is friendly and inviting, this is shown through the design as it clean, modern and sophisticated. 

I would encourage my client to increase their budget for this project by showing them the benefits of a higher budget and how it will effect the design and the end product. I would provide examples of higher quality materials and how foiling or spot colours make a huge difference. I would let them feel the paper, so they can see for themselves the difference.

When presenting my final piece to the client their a several different ways to approach them to go ahead with a design. A copy of the concept could be printed for each board member and you could talk about the design. You could have neat sketches done up to show the client your concepts. A PDF could be printed or presented on a projector to show the client your design concept or you could create a Powerpoint presentation to showcase your design. If given the choice and I had all material available I would set my final piece up in Powerpoint and present it in a similar format to the theme of my booklet design. 


Printing Quotes





No comments:

Post a Comment